PICATINNY ARSENAL, NJ – On September 1st, 2021, Applied Training Solutions (ATS) successfully designed and supported a critical training exercise for the Picatinny Arsenal in New Jersey. ATS facilitated the exercise by providing exercise planning, design, control, support, simulation services, and simulation cell management. ATS’ industry leading proprietary technology and services permitted the members of the Picatinny Arsenal to train on 14 IMCOM core capabilities, which also resulted in the installation’s ability to meet six primary training objectives.
The Picatinny Arsenal FSE scenario was a man-made event that included an insider threat, increased threat reports, and an unknown explosion leading to a fire, mass casualties, installation lockdown and increase in FPCON.
The purposes of the exercise included:
- Capabilities that were evaluated for timely and accurate reporting of available information concerning threats to the installations.
- The delivery of prompt information to the community regarding threats or hazards.
- The Incident Command and Unified Command systems.
- Establishment and operations of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
- MASCAL plan to ensure adequate and coordinated efforts to minimize loss of life and disabling injuries.
- The capability to restore health and social services to the community after an emergency or disaster.
The one-day exercise scenario involved a simulated explosion at the demilitarization building located on Picatinny Arsenal causing a fire, five casualties and three fatalities. Immediately after, the suspect had a fatal car accident at the access control point subsequently, blocking the primary entrance for first responders.
The scenario created by the ATS team assisted Picatinny Arsenal in becoming more prepared to handle unexpected explosions and blockage on their own soil, and what the appropriate response to these situations should be.
“As a leader in emergency preparedness training and readiness, ATS continues to actively work to deliver innovative, experience-based disaster-preparedness exercises solutions for local, state and federal agencies to protect communities.
For additional information on ATS and ATS Solutions, please visit www.appliedtrg.com”