SCHOFIELD BARRACKS, HI – On July 27th–28th, 2021, Applied Training Solutions (ATS) successfully designed and supported an emergency training exercise for the U.S. Army Garrison Schofield Barracks in Hawaii. ATS put together a two-day long scenario to test the ability of the garrison to respond to an emergency.
The purpose of the exercise was to test and evaluate six primary training objectives focused on 14 core capabilities. Included in the capabilities were:
- The evaluation of the Incident Command and Unified Command systems.
- Timely and accurate reporting of available information concerning threats to the installations.
- The Emergency Operation Center’s ability to provide operational coordination.
- The use of Emergency Action Plans and the implementation of Memorandums of Agreement/Understanding.
- MASCAL plan to ensure adequate and coordinated efforts to minimize loss of life and disabling injuries.
- The capability to restore health and social services to the community after an emergency or disaster.
The two-day exercise scenario involved a simulated aircraft (CH47) mishap on day one, which caused a fire, resulting in simulated wounded and casualties on Wheeler Army Airfield (WAAF). Additionally, increased threat intelligence set the conditions for a Threat Work Group that led to an increase in force protection conditions (FPCON) while the garrison responded to the aircraft mishap. The garrison executed its barrier and security augmentation force plan island wide utilizing over 170 soldiers.
The second day included a gate runner on East Range Road while the garrison continued with recovery operations. The conditions led to a Special Reaction Team (SRT) and an Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) response. Over 240 individuals garrison and 25th Infantry Division were tasked to support the FSE.
The two-day long exercise was a success, the Army Garrison was able to adequately adapt and respond to the unforeseen mishap on the airfield. ATS put together a successful exercise that helped build the confidence in the garrisons Emergency Action Plan.
“As a leader in emergency preparedness training and readiness, ATS continues to actively work to deliver innovative, experience-based disaster-preparedness exercises solutions for local, state and federal agencies to protect communities.
For additional information on ATS and ATS Solutions, please visit www.appliedtrg.com”